A decadent chocolate cake is fully vegan and fully
Vegan Chocolate Cake
• 2 cups (320g) all-purpose flour
• 2 cups (384g) granulated sugar
• 1 cup (80g) cocoa powder
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1 ½ tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp fine sea salt
• 2 cups (500ml) vegan milk, hot
• 1 cup (250ml) all-vegetable oil
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Vegan Chocolate Buttercream
• 1 cup (240g) vegan salted butter, room temperature
• 1 cup (240g) all-vegetable shortening
• 5 cups (600g) powdered sugar
• ½ cup (40g) cocoa powder
• 1 tsp. fine sea salt
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• optional: vegan chocolate squares for decor
Vegan Chocolate Cake Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray four 6-inch round cake pans with non-stick baking spray.
2. In the bowl of the stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk together.
3. Add in the wet ingredients, making sure the vegan milk is hot, and combine until just incorporated.
4. Divide the batter equally into the four prepared cake pans and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs on it.
5. Allow the cake layers to cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then invert to a cooling rack to fully cool.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the vegan butter and shortening on high speed until light and fluffy. This should take approximately 10 minutes.
2. Sift in the icing sugar, cocoa powder, and salt and mix on low until combined. 3. Add in the vanilla extract and mix on low until combined.
4. Turn the mixer up to high and let mix for 5 minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary.
1. Level each fully cooled vegan chocolate cake layer with a cake leveler or knife if needed.
2. Place one levelled layer of cake on a cake board, plate, and/or cake turntable and top with approximately 1½ cups of chocolate buttercream.
3. Repeat with the remaining layers and apply a thin coat of buttercream all over the cake. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4. Cover the cake with another layer of buttercream and smooth the sides with a cake smoother.
5. Decorate the cake as you please. I used the tip of an offset spatula to create horizontal lines around the cake and three diagonal lines on the front. With a Wilton 1m piping tip, I piped swirls on top of the cake and placed a vegan chocolate square between each swirl. Enjoy.
6. Store leftover cake in an airtight container or wrap it in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: vegan chocolate cakle