· ½ cup of vegetable oil
· ½ cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
· 1 and ¾ cups granulated sugar
· 5 egg whites at room temperature
· 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
· 3 cups of cake flour sifted *see note about cake flour substitution
· 1 tbsp baking powder
· ½ tsp baking soda
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 and ½ cups of buttermilk at room temperature *see note about buttermilk substitution
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Spray three 6-inch cake pans with non-stick spray. Place a parchment round in the bottom of each pan. Set aside.
2. Sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Into the bowl of an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter and oil together for 3-4 minutes until they are completely unified.
4. Add sugar into the mixture and beat on medium to high speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. With the mixer on low speed add egg whites in one at a time allowing each to incorporate before the next addition. Scrape down the sides and add in the vanilla. Beat on high until mixture is smooth and light in colour, about 1 minute.
6. With the mixer on low speed, add one third of the flour mixture into the bowl and mix until just combined. Scrape down the bowl and add one half of the butter milk and again mix until just combined. Repeat this process. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Do not over mix or your cake will become quite dense.
7. Distribute cake batter evenly between three 6-inch cake pans. I like to use a kitchen scale to ensure batter is divided equally.
8. Bake for 35-38 minutes, or until knife comes out clean. Each oven is slightly different, so I suggest setting your timer to 30 minutes and watching carefully from there!
9. Cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes before inverting and removing cakes from can pan to cool completely.
Keywords: vanilla cake