This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Hi Friends! Christmas is around the corner. I made this adorable gingerbread man cake for a paid partnership and wanted to share it on my blog! This tutorial will include a delicious recipe with gingerbread buttercream this time! Read on for the fun cake tutorial and gingerbread cake recipe! Click here for more holiday inspiration.
This recipe will yield one gingerbread layer cake. It is strongly recommended to wrap the cake with some cling wrap and refrigerate or freeze the cake for a hour to get it firm for cutting. It will be easier to cut the cake with less crumbs.
The shape template is linked below. I used my Cricut Maker to cut with an acetate sheet so I could reuse the stencil again. However, you can use a cardboard paper or a parchment paper to cut out the shape.
I opted to use fondant for the face and decorations because it was less work and waste as compared to using buttercream. I am very particular about minimizing waste when decorating. You are more than welcome to use buttercream for the decorations using the gel food colorings.
Would you rather opt for video tutorials instead of step-by-step instructions? We’ve got you covered with a short video tutorial that guides you through the process of creating a cute gingerbread man cake.
How to make a cute gingerbread man cake Step by Step
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Create the recipe as directed below, or use your favorite gingerbread cake recipe.
Step 2: Bake as directed. Allow it to cool. Place the cake on a baking wire rack.
Step 3: Print the stencil (click here for the template to download and print) and cut the shape out. Apply it to the cold cake.
Step 4: Grab a sharp knife and begin cutting around the stencil. Remove the cutouts to store in a ziplock bag to enjoy later!
Step 5: Make the buttercream (recipe below). Set aside some white buttercream for the decorations. Color the rest of the buttercream with brown food gel coloring.
Step 6: Fill a piping bag with brown gingerbread buttercream and snip off a small portion. Begin piping around the outline and fill in with buttercream.
Step 7: Smooth the buttercream on the top of the cake and the sides with an offset spatula.
Step 8: Place the cake in the fridge to allow it to firm up before applying the decorations.
Step 9: Place the cake on the cake board. You can use a large cake lifter like this to transfer the cake. Fill a piping bag with a coupler and attach the #10 piping tip and white buttercream, and pipe the “wiggles” on the arms and legs.
Step 10: Pipe the “hair” and fill in the outline.
Step 11: Sprinkle on the sprinkles.
Step 12: Switch the piping tip to piping tip #6 and pipe the eyebrows.
Step 13: Make the eyes with black fondant and a circle cutter. Paint the white dots on the eyes with an edible white paint.
Step 14: Make the cheeks with pink fondant (white mixed with a bit of red) and an oblong cutter.
Step 15: Create the mouth with a small amount of black fondant by rolling it into a smile.
Step 16: Create the fondant red bow. (I used this YouTube tutorial) Apply the bow to the center of the cake.
Step 17: Make the little hearts with a small heart cutter.
All done! I loved making this gingerbread sheet cake! This holiday cake will be a hit at your Christmas party!Print
- 1 Duncan Hines spice cake mix
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- ½ cup melted butter
- 3 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 1 TBSP Vanilla
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup (4oz) Egg Whites (cool or room temperature as long it’s not too cold)
- 2 Cups (16oz) of powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP Molasses
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Mix Cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl with a hand whisk or a stand mixer.
- Whisk vigorously or mix on a medium speed for approximately 2 minutes.
- Carefully pour the cake batter in the 13×9 cake pan.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes. It is ready when the toothpick has a few crumbs or is clean.
- Set aside to cool for 15 minutes. Flip over to a baking wire rack.
- (BUTTERCREAM) In the mixer bowl with a whisk attachment, add egg whites, powdered sugar, and salt on low speed until all mixed.
- Once powdered sugar is incorporated, beat for a few minutes until everything is combined.
- Return the mixer to low speed and add softened butter, 1-2 tablespoons at a time. Once all the butter has been added at medium speed, beat for 10 minutes while scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add vanilla extract, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Add 1 tsp more if you want a more robust flavor.
- Replace with a paddle attachment and beat for 5-10 minutes to remove air bubbles.
This buttercream recipe yields leftover buttercream. You can put it in an airtight container or freeze buttercream for up to a month or two.
Keywords: gingerbread cake
How to make a [name of your item] Instruction Video
You can find more video tutorials on our Youtube Channel
Your answer to this question will go here.
Did you make this craft?
We would love to see what you have created so mention us @findyourcakeinspiration or tag us using #findyourcakeinspiration so we can see your amazing creations!