Hi friends! Thanksgiving is this week! I created this amazing fall pumpkins cake for my husband’s thanksgiving work function last week. In this blog post, I will show you how to make a fall pumpkins cake for your Thanksgiving or a Fall Themed cake! There will be no step-by-step photos but a short video will be included for visualization purposes. I did a dedicated blog post on how to do dulce de leche drips, so click here if you want to do the yummy drips!
Fall Pumpkins Cake Supplies
- 8-inch cake pans
- Orange Food Gel Color (I used Wilton Color Right Orange because they color meringue-based buttercream such as Italian Meringue buttercream the best)
- Crimson Food Gel Color (I used Wilton Color Right)
- Brown Gel Color
- Olive Food Gel Color
- Disposable Piping Bags
- Tipless Piping Bags
- Piping Tip #4B
- Piping Tip #8B
- Piping Tip #18
- Cake Scraper
- Glittery Sugar in Filthy Rich
- Fancy Sprinkles Edible Glitter: (15CAKEINSPO for a discount. Make sure the glitter is EDIBLE when purchasing from Amazon.)
Instructions on how to make a fall pumpkins cake
Scroll down for the video.
- Bake your favorite recipe (Click here for a dulce de leche vanilla cake recipe)
- Crumb-coat the cake with a small offset spatula. Place the cake in the fridge for the buttercream to firm up.
- Pipe on another coat of buttercream and use the cake scraper to smooth the cake. Repeat if needed.
- The cake needs to be cold when you are piping the pumpkins.
- Apply the dulce de leche drips if desired. Any regular chocolate ganache drip will work!
- Split the remaining buttercream into three bowls. Approximately 1-2oz each will be enough for the pumpkins.
- Color the buttercream with the colors listed above or with your choosing.
- Fit the piping bags with 8B, 4B, and piping #18 tips. (The crimson is 8B, orange and olive are 4B, and brown stem is piping tip #18).
- Fill the piping bags with the colored buttercream.
- Begin piping the first color pumpkins, and repeat with the rest of the pumpkins.
- Finish off with the brown stems.
- Sprinkle some glitter sugar on the top and sides of the cake.