Hi friends! The spooky season is officially here! I’m digging in my Halloween photo archives and found this fun striped cake with a Halloween theme. I thought I’d write up a tutorial on how to make a Halloween Striped Cake. Doing buttercream stripes can be intimidating because they intimidate me, but you can achieve them with some practice and patience! There are so many options for making a striped cake with different variations of cake combs and colors. I’ve linked my favorite websites to buy cake combs below and a short video.
Halloween Striped Cake Tutorial
Tips To Get Clean Buttercream Stripes
- Crumb coat your cake and chill in the fridge for a hour.
- Pipe buttercream on the cake using a piping bag to get an even layer of buttercream.
- Use a good and sturdy cake scraper. I use stainless cake combs.
- Scrape off excess buttercream after each turn or as needed.
- Chill the cake after the grooves are done for 30 minutes to a hour. The cake needs to be super cold so the second. buttercream color won’t smudge into the other lines.
- Cut off a small tip off the piping bag (same size as the lines or a bit smaller)
- Have patience! It will look smudged but you need to keep going with the scraper a few times.
- Fill in any missing spots with the buttercream and scrape.
- Heat up the cake scraper with HOT water for the final turns.
- Do not use heavy pressure or you will scrape off the outer lines.
- Most of all, perfect stripes are NOT possible but you can get good looking stripes with lots of practice and patience!
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE A Halloween Striped Cake
- White Baking Chips (Guttiard or Ghiradelli)
- Heavy Cream
- Gel Colors in Neon Green, Neon Purple, and Neon Orange, and in Black
- Disposable Piping Bags
- 1M Piping Tip (Optional for the top of the cake)
- Cake Comb (The one I used for this cake)
- Sprinkles (I used Haunted Mansion for this cake. You can use my 15% discount code – CAKEINSPO15!)
Scroll down for the video.
- Cover your cake with the main color by piping around the cake.
- Smooth the cake with a scraper.
- Slowly go around the cake with the cake comb scraper with grooves.
- Once the lines are grooved, speed up a bit to get cleaner lines.
- Put the cake in the freezer for 15-30 minutes or refrigerate until very cold. The cake needs to be cold to avoid smudged colors.
- Separate the remaining buttercream in three bowls (for orange, lime, and purple colors).
- Mix them with the gel colors and fill the piping bags and snip a small cut off.
- Pipe in the lines and stay in the grooves. Try not to get the buttercream outside of the grooves.
- Slowly smooth the cake with the scraper (flat side). Put the cake back in the fridge if you notice the cake getting warm.
- Fill in any spots with the coordinated colors.
- Continue scraping the cake until you see the cake is almost done.
- Heat up the scraper with HOT water and slowly go around.
- Do not dig too deep or you’ll remove the grooves.
- Stop once satifisfed.
- Decorate as you wish.
Thanks so much for following along! I hope this tutorial was straightforward to understand. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments! Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube for more cake tutorials and cake inspiration.