Hi friends! I’ve been loving this cake style on Instagram and Pinterest. There are fun ways to customize to your own liking and choose a theme such as ice cream, bridal showers, baby shower, a 1st birthday, and more special occasions! I have an actual letterboard for my kids every school year, so I thought it would be fun to create a back-to-school letterboard cake in a 9 x 13 dimension. You can choose any fun sayings even inspirational quotes to put on top of the cake! I’ve included a short video below for you who prefer to watch videos than read the step-by-step guide on how to make a letterboard cake.
Letterboard Cake Tutorial
Which Cake Recipe Should I Use?
You can use any recipe as long it is enough for a 9 x 13 cake pan! You can always bake leftovers into cupcakes or a small cake pan such as 4 inch or 6 inch cake pan. My favorite recipes are the vanilla cake recipe that my friend, Blair, did for me and chocolate cake.
How Do I Make The Letters?
Supplies Needed On How To Make a Letterboard Cake
- 9×13 Cake Pan
- Offset Spatula
- Letterboard Cake Comb (for perfect grooves)
- 1M Piping Tip
- Piping Bags
- Gel Colors
- Alphabet Mold (Also available on Fancy Sprinkles)
- White Chocolate Melts (Also available on Fancy Sprinkles)
- Sprinkles (CAKEINSPO15 for a 15% discount for Fancy Sprinkles)
How To Make A Letterboard Cake Instructions
- Make the cake according to the recipe using the 19 x 3 pan.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes then take the cake out of the pan.
- Cut the top using a serrated knife or a cake lever if there is a significant dome.
- Make your favorite buttercream.
- Tint the buttercream using your desired colors (Pink letter board cakes, anyone?)
- Fill a piping bag with a 1M piping tip and buttercream.
- Crumb coat the cake with buttercream covering all of the naked spots.
- Put it in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Slather the cake with another coat of buttercream making sure all of the naked spots are covered.
- Run the cake comb in a horizontal way. Repeat once or a couple of times. (Fill holes with more buttercream then run the cake comb again)
- Pipe the border along the cake.
- Heat up a small amount of candy coating chocolate (1-2 oz)
- Put the melted chocolate in the desired letter cavitities.
- Put it in the fridge.
- Once the chocolate is firm, gently pop them out.
- Attach the letters on the cake.
- Spread the sprinkles all over the cake for a perfect party touch.
- Enjoy! (Check out the video below)