Hi friends! The Memorial Day Weekend is just around the corner, marking the unofficial start of summer. I created a tie-dye cake last year and you can go here to get the full details on how to make a tie cake inside and outside. I thought I’d re-create the tie-dye cake to resemble an American flag cake for a patriotic look. Scroll down for a list of supplies and a short video. This tie-dye memorial day cake will be a crowd-pleaser at your memorial day picnic!
Memorial Day Cake Tutorial
Supplies Needed To Create A Tie Dye Memorial Day Cake
- Cake Turntable Stand
- Offset spatula
- Piping bags
- Food safe brushes
- Gel Colors (Red and Navy Blue)
- Paper Towel
- 4B Piping Tip
- Memorial Day Sprinkles
- Edible Glitter (Make sure they are EDIBLE)
Instructions on How to Make A Tie Dye Memorial Day Cake
- Make American Buttercream (I use this recipe). Set two small batches aside for the buttercream swirls.
- Make red and navy blue batches for the buttercream swirls.
- Fill and Crumb coat as needed.
- Apply the final coat.
- Place it in the fridge until it is firm to the touch (approximately 30 minutes to an hour)
- Dilute one drop of each gel color with very little water or vodka.
- Start painting in loops (video below).
- Press the brush against the paper towel as much as possible. You don’t want too much gel coloring on the brush or it’ll run down the cake.
- Continue until you are happy with the look. You can fill in the loops as much as you can to get a fuller look.
- Take a paper towel and gently press on the cake to soak up the gel color.
- Press sprinkles against the bottom of the cake.
- Spread out a cling wrap.
- Scoop the red buttercream on the cling wrap.
- Scoop the navy blue buttercream on the cling wrap next to the red buttercream.
- Wrap up the cling wrap and snip off the end with a scissor.
- Place it in the piping bag fitted with a 4B tip.
- Pipe swirls on the cake.
- Dip a cherry into the edible glitter container.
- Place cherries on the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle on the sprinkles.
Let me know what you think of this tie-dye memorial cake. I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
Please drop a comment below or tag me on @findyourcakeinspiration if you create a tie-dye cake. I’d love to see your creations!