Hi friends! It’s officially summer with brutal hot days here in Houston. We have not seen rain that much this summer. But no worries, we have summer fruits such as juicy watermelons to keep us cool and hydrated! There are many different ways to do a watermelon cake, so here is my watermelon cake idea! This watermelon cake will be a hit for a watermelon birthday cake or at your summer party! Scroll down for a list of supplies and a step by step instructions on how to make this watermelon cake design.
Watermelon Cake Tutorial
What You will need to make Watermelon Cake
- Cake Turntable Stand
- Offset spatula
- Cake Comb
- Piping bags
- Gel Colors (Red, Deep Pink, Leaf Green, Bright Green)
- 2D Piping Tip
- Black Sprinkles (you can also find some at your local baking store & craft store)
- Super White Chocolate Candy Melts (Sweet Tooth Fairy Meltables are another great option)
- Heavy Cream
- Sprinkles with your preferred colors (My Faves are from Fancy Sprinkles & Sweetapolita)
Watermelon Cake Design Instructions
- Bake your delicious cake recipe or a summer cake recipe using a stand mixer and pour the cake batter into the 6-inch round cake pans.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes then take the cake layers out of the pans.
- Cut the top using a serrated knife or a cake lever if there is a significant dome.
- Make your preferred buttercream.
- Use four separate bowls to color the buttercream green, lime green, deep pink, and white (No coloring needed).
- I used a small drop of red to the deep pink buttercream to get darker deep pink.
- Crumb coat the cake with white buttercream covering all of the naked spots using an offset spatula.
- Use the cake comb to smooth the cake. Fill in the holes with buttercream until you get a smooth coat.
- Place the cake in the fridge until cold.
- Place all of the buttercreams in piping bags and snip the tip off large enough to pipe on the cake.
- Start with the dark green and start piping at the bottom of the cake.
- Do one row of lime green above the green buttercream.
- Apply one row of white buttercream above lime green buttercream.
- Pipe the deep pink on the rest of the cake.
- Use the cake scraper to smooth the cake and blend the colors.
- Pipe in the gaps with the same color buttercream.
- Continue smoothing the cake with the cake scraper until you are satisfied with the results.
- Pipe the top of the cake with the deep pink buttercream and smooth with the small offset spatula.
- Place it back in the fridge to let the cake firm up for 15 minutes or until cold.
- Run a knife under the hot water and cut off the excess buttercream on the top to make sharp edges.
White Cake Drip Instructions
- Place 3 oz of white chocolate melts in a small bowl and pour 1 oz of heavy cream
- Microwave for 30 seconds and 15-second intervals until melted.
- Let it rest for 5-10 minutes. You don’t want it to be too hot to melt the cake or too cold. It should be warm to the touch.
- Pour it into a tipless piping bag (my preferred piping bag for drips but a regular small piping bag should work)
- Apply chocolate to the cake starting on the top and then on the sides using various pressures while squeezing the piping bag. I usually count up to 5-7 seconds per drip. Less time if the chocolate is runnier than usual.
How To Do Watermelon Toned Buttercream
- Lay out some cling wrap. Using the leftover green, lime green, and deep pink and pipe alternating the colors like below. Repeat for another layer on top of the colors.
- Wrap the cling wrap and snip off the end with a pair of scissors.
- Fit a piping bag with a 2D piping bag and put the cling-wrapped buttercream into the piping bag.
- Start piping buttercream swirls on the top of the cake. Apply sprinkles on the top of the swirls as desired.
- Apply the black sprinkles to the cake for the final touch!