Hi everyone! I am back with another how to make buttercream pumpkins blog post. This cake trend is one of my favorite fall cake trends! It is SO easy to make buttercream pumpkins. There are plentiful color options for this design! I saw this cake technique on Cake by Courtney and Baking Butterly Love websites. I wrote this first buttercream pumpkins post last year. Read on for a list of supplies, instructions, and a short video on how to make buttercream pumpkins.
BUTTERCREAM PUMPKINS TUTORIAL
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE BUTTERCREAM PUMPKINS
- 1M Wilton Piping Tip (2-3 tips depending on how many colors you are using)
- Wilton 4 Piping Tip (for vines)
- Wilton 18 Piping Tip (for stems)
- Wilton 352 Piping Tip (for leaves – optional)
- Disposable Piping Bags or Reusable Piping Bags
- Gel Food Colorings (I used Americolor gel colors: orange, dusty rose, and lemon yellow. I used a tiny drop of orange to make the peach buttercream base.
- Cake Scraper
- Sprinkles (This particular blend I used has been discontinued, so I linked the closest blend on Amazon)
Scroll down for the video.
- Cover your cake with the main color by piping around the cake (as seen in the video)
- Smooth the cake with a scraper
- Separate the remaining buttercream in three bowls (for three colors) and for the vine and stem colors (green and brown). You do not need a lot of buttercream for vine and stems.
- Mix them with the desired colors and fill the piping bags with the 1M tips
- Pipe upwards in three strokes (try to do it in a pumpkin shape)
- Pipe a stem in an upcurved motion using the piping tip #18 with brown buttercream
- Pipe the vines using the piping tip #4 with green buttercream
- Repeat with other pumpkin colors
- For the border, use a 1M piping tip, pipe a short and small buttercream in a horizontal way. Overlap the previous buttercream with alternate colors.
- Add sprinkles on the top if desired.
Thanks so much for following along! I hope this tutorial was clear and easy to understand. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments! Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube for more cake tutorials and cake inspiration.