Hi everyone! I made these gorgeous geometric heart cake gems last year. The geometric cake hearts with a chocolate shell are versatile with different designs and easy to do even with no baking needed! You can use anything from cake scraps with a small amount of buttercream, cookie dough, crushed oreos & pretzels, to puddings. They are perfect for valentine’s day, baby showers, and birthday party favors. They are a great alternative to cake pops. Scroll down for an easy guide on where to get supplies and a short video on how to make heart cake gems!
Geometric Heart Cake Tutorial
Which type of chocolate should I use?
Most of the time, you will want to use compound chocolate made of cocoa powder and vegetable fats such as vegetable oil, palm kernel oil, or coconut oil. Compound chocolate is also called confectionery chocolates, and coating chocolate and looks and tastes like chocolate. It is best for candy making, dipping, molding, and such because it doesn’t require tempering. Pure chocolate requires tempering, so if you were to use high-quality chocolates for this tutorial, you would need to temper, or you’ll have chocolate that won’t harden. You can search tempering chocolate if you want to go that route. Below are the links for compound chocolates that I have used.
- Sweet Tooth Fairy Meltables (I use them often since I can run to Michaels and buy.)
- Fancy Sprinkles Easy Candy (Tastes great and I use them as well. CAKEINSPO15 for a 15% discount)
- Wilton Candy Melts (Not the best taste but they work)
- White Guittard Chocolate (You will need to use oil-based coloring to make any custom colors such as Chefmaster, Wilton, or Colour Mill)
- Dark Guittard Chocolate
- Grocery Store Brands (Make sure they are called candy coating chocolate)
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE Make Geometric Hearts
- Edible Cookie Dough (Google any edible cookie dough recipe. I used a recipe from the Hello, Cookie Dough book)
- Geometric Heart Silicone Mold (The mold I use is no longer in stock but here is a similar product)
- Compound Chocolates (See the list above)
- Small Silicone Spatula
- Small Offset Spatula
- Edible Glitter (My fave is Fancy Sprinkles Prism Powders. CAKEINSPO15 for a discount. Make sure it is edible glitter when purchasing from Amazon)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR Geometric Heart Cake
Make edible cookie dough as instructed as to the recipe calls. Fold in sprinkles.
Melt chocolate first at 30-second intervals then 15-second intervals until all melted.
Apply melted chocolate to the mold.
Spread the chocolate inside of the mold. Make sure there are no gaps.
Put the mold in the fridge to harden.
Put in edible cookie dough (or cake mixture of your choice)
Spread melted chocolate on the top of the mold.
Scrape off excess chocolate with the offset spatula.
Put the mold in the fridge for 5 min or until the heart gems are hard. Pop them out gently.
Add some edible glitter for some sparkle!
Drizzle chocolate over the heart cake gems with a sandwich bag with a small snipped-off tip and add sprinkles.
Thanks so much for following along!I hope this geometric heart cake tutorial was easy to understand. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments! Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube for more cake tutorials and cake inspiration.